THE GOAL OF THE PROJECT
"Serum Hanger Bicycle" (ONKOBIS), the first social responsibility project of the "Pedal to Hope" project team, was implemented together with the Cancer Warriors Association. This movement, which started with the pedaling adventure, continued by carrying out joint projects with Non-Governmental Organizations, aiming to raise social awareness, meet the needs of vulnerable communities, create a healthy society, popularize sports, and raise funds and implement projects through campaigns.
THE SUBJECT OF THE PROJECT
The “Umuda Pedal” team pedaled in different countries and cities for their first social responsibility project, “Serum Suspended Bicycle” (ONKOBİS). While pedaling over mountains and kilometers, donations were raised by raising awareness about cancer. In the "Pedal to Hope" project, awareness is raised for the needs of vulnerable communities as well as ONKOBİS with every pedal turned.
STAKEHOLDERS OF THE PROJECT
Cancer Fighters Association and related Non-Governmental Organizations.
ACTIVE DURATION / STATUS OF THE PROJECT
It has been active since 2016.
THE COMMUNITY TARGETED IN THE PROJECT
Children aged 3-6 years undergoing cancer treatment and vulnerable populations.
COMMUNITY'S NEEDS MEET
As a result of the donations collected by the "Pedal to Hope" team, a safe and hygienic bicycle (ONKOBİS), which can carry an IV hanger and infusion pump that children aged 3-6 under chemotherapy can use while they are in the clinic, was built, distributed to clinics and put into use. In this way, while preventing children from being tied to the bed and remaining inactive during the treatment, it also contributed to the creation of the social environment they need.
WHAT RESULT DID THE PROJECT GIVE? / WHAT DID HE ACHIEVE?
- With the "Pedal to Hope" project, bicycles were ridden from Vienna to Berlin in 2016 and from London to Düsseldorf in 2017 for the first time within the scope of the "Global Biking Initiative" (GBI).
- On October 26, 2021, the pedals turned to spice up the treatment process they spent in bed with ONKOBIS by turning it into a game with their bikes with IV hangers.
- On February 15, 2022, pedaling was carried out for children in the "World Childhood Cancers" campaign.
- With the donations made for the pedals cycled in the "Istanbul Half Marathon" on March 27, 2022, ONKOBIS was delivered to more children diagnosed with cancer who were receiving inpatient treatment. In this way, with the donations collected, more children were given ONKOBIS opportunity in the hospital, preventing children from being bedridden and immobile during the treatment, while providing them with physical and psychological benefits by creating the social environment they needed.
“Additional projects carried out by the “Pedal to Hope” project team are:
- A cycling event was organized in Belgrade Forest and Kas in 2018 for the "Grouper Conservation Project" with the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
- In order to organize and increase the number of "Design and Skills Workshops" aimed at educating children with the Turkish Education Volunteers Foundation (TEGV), they pedaled from Gothenburg to Hamburg in 2018.
- Following the workshops opened in Istanbul Bakırköy and Batman, bicycles were ridden from Mardin to Göbeklitepe for the workshops to be established in Mardin Savur on 6-7 April 2019, with the slogan "Travelling to the past to support the future".
- American Hospital “100. As part of the "Year" events, people pedaled on the velodrome to draw attention to the carbon footprint on "World Environment Day".
- 21 volunteer cyclists, including 4 cyclists in our institutions (Erkan Koyuncu, Hanife Ebru Dönmez, Okan Falay, Özgür Gözer), carried out an awareness drive around Lake Van on 7-8 October 2022, and a donation campaign was carried out.
- With the donations collected in this project where sports combine with kindness, the Design and Skills Workshop was opened at the Turkish Education Volunteers Foundation (TEGV) Van Nirun Sahingiray Education Park.
- In 2022 and 2023, during "Breast Cancer Awareness Month", a bicycle was ridden between Bostancı and Göztepe and an awareness event was held in Göztepe Park with the participation of 70 people. You can follow the team that pedals towards hope on Instagram and YouTube accounts.
IN WHICH OUR INSTITUTIONS IS THE PROJECT CARRIED OUT?
The “Pedal to Hope” project continues at the American Hospital and Koç University Hospital.